There is a crisis in Africa - children are starving and dying and I bought a frappuccino today.
Whilst twittering tonight I scrolled past several tweets in a row posted by an old friend, Kristi Stephens. Kristi has an amazing heart for God and always has a worthy cause that she's fighting for. I admire Kristy so much. I'm feeling a bit disgusted with myself right now - this is the first tweet of Kristi's that I actually read: More than 29,000 children, under the age of 5, have perished in the last 90 days in southern Somalia alone. http://is.gd/hdw4Gs. And you know what I did? I thought to myself, "I don't want to read about something so depressing..." and I almost didn't click. Almost.
Kristi's next tweet read: "Mothers are being forced to abandon their weak or sick children in order to save the remaining others." - http://is.gd/hdw4Gs. As a mother, I am so disgusted that I almost didn't click that link. I can't even begin to fathom what this would be like and I don't want to have to think about it so I just wanted to walk away.
I didn't walk away. I clicked the link and I'm glad I did. I couldn't ignore what I read.
Please do read the article yourself. Please decide if you can help. These people need prayer and they need money. $1 provides 40 meals - yes, that's it. You can donate $10 by texting WORLDHELP to 85944 -- that's 400 meals in the 5 seconds it will take you to send one text message.
Thank you so much for sharing this, Becca - so true that we would rather not read it! So appreciate your heart and your willingness to respond! And thank you for your words of encouragement, too - means more than I can say.
ReplyDelete